About Us:

A chatty little blog about homeschooling, parenting, and finding peace in Christ.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Desperation- Not Just a Stephen King Book

So I just got done sending out a mass email to my local homeschool group, updating them on my current phone numbers, and not so slightly hinting that I want them to use those phone numbers this summer to set up playdates with my children. As soon as I hit "send", I had a momentary freak-out, wondering if I had crossed a line, or if I appeared too desperate, but then I realized that perhaps sometimes reaching out in desperation is alright. Here is why:

  1. My children need friends. This is the most important reason for my desperation. Since moving here 8 months ago, my kids have been exposed to only one consistent group of children, and that is the homeschool group. Other than that, there was a few months at one church that I later decided was not the right home for us. Even that did not produce any promising relationships for them. We have been "church-hopping" in hopes of finding a place that suits not only them but us spiritually, and even if that means losing out on opportunities for deep relationships, it is what is best for all of us in the long run. 
  2. I need friends. It may seem like that has nothing to do with my children having friends, but it really does. Consider this, if my children do not make nice with other kids, I won't have the chance to make nice with those kids' parents. I can't assure that the children my kids  decide to befriend will actually have parents that I will get along with as well, but hey, it is a start.
  3. I need a break. If I promise playdates at my house, I can only hope that they will be reciprocated elsewhere. Have you ever tried spending 14 hours a day with no one but your mother to talk to on the phone, wrangling three rambunctious children, and one fussy infant... every day. With no end in sight? My poor husband comes home every night to a screaming, crying, blubbering baby... who just so happens to be 27 years old. It gets old. And I get tired. So Mama needs a break every now and then.
That being said, I believe that desperation is transparency. Yes, it seems ugly on the outside, but if you look through the windows what you really get is someone who is just lonely. Actually, a whole family of them. But is there any shame in that? I don't think so. So, desperation is ok every now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment