About Us:

A chatty little blog about homeschooling, parenting, and finding peace in Christ.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dealing With Fear and Doubt

My life has been ridden with anxiety since I was a child. I used to lay in bed before school, shaking with fear of what the day would hold. As a teenager, I was nearly crippled with fear that people would not like me or accept me. As an adult, my problems have grown larger and more, well, adult sized. The enemy knows that he has me as long as he can get my mind to wander to the "what-if's".

What if... my husband is cheating on me?
What if... we don't have enough money to pay all of the important bills this month?
What if... I can't make new friends in a new town?
What if... something bad happens to my children or my husband?

Constant doubt and fear enter my mind and I cannot control the thoughts. At least that is what satan wants me to think.

The Bible tells me differently, 2 Corinthians 10:5 says, "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." Now, I am no expert by any means, but I am pretty sure that if the Word tells me that I can hold these thoughts captive, then I can. After all, I can do all things through Christ, right?

The only thing left for me to do is to remind myself of this every chance I get. When I sit down and something pops in my mind, a worry, a doubt, I am to stop the thought in its tracks and say "I rebuke that thought in Jesus' Name!" For I have been given this authority to take things in His name, and in this case, I hold captive my enemy by the shackles of the blood of Christ.

I'm not sure how many times I have sung songs about the freedom that you can have, and yet remained locked into bondage in my own mind. So tonight, my vow is to stop and take my thoughts captive. It really could save a few years on my life if I let my worry rest and my mind and body recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment